Sunday, January 26, 2014

Smoke and Mirrors

The influence of my past on my present life is subtle. I get flashbacks and there are triggers. Sometimes I just seem to step into another time and place for no reason at all. Frequently it is seemingly unrelated to what I am doing at the moment but often it is. I can be sitting in my living room and all of a sudden I am on a particular street corner in New Delhi or driving in my car and I am on a bus somewhere by myself and I am not exactly sure where it is but I think it might be the south of France. Tonight I found myself in a little yarn store in the west of Ireland. These are all places I have been…

I was making grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for my family for dinner last night. As I was stirring the soup, suddenly, I was in T’s kitchen in New Jersey and we had burned the tomato soup and M made us all eat it as a punishment for burning it. All except for G who refused to eat it. I took a few sips and put my spoon down. I thought a few spoon fulls would suffice but it didn’t cross my mind that I could get away with outright defiance like G and live to see another day. That was also the weekend that G and S took me into a back bedroom and spanked me and made me swear that I wouldn’t tell anyone else. I didn’t tell anyone for years. Not even my best friend. What kind of people do things like that to other people? What kind of person submits and stays silent? Did Sharon tell them to do that? Why?

We spent two weekends in New Jersey working on renovating T’s house. Why am I thinking about this now? I have no idea. My mind has become a mysterious place that goes where it wants to out of my control at times.

There was a joke: “We are going to another state.” Get it? Not 'state' as in New York or New Jersey but 'state' as in state of mind. Not so funny, huh? I don’t for the most part remember which weekend was which but I do remember that we didn’t sleep for two whole nights either weekend. One weekend they rented two cheap motel rooms (one for the women and one for the men) and we slept in two shifts: midnight to 4 am and 5 am to 9 am. There were probably about ten or fifteen women crowded into one motel room. We all slept on the floor except, of course, for two people who were the favorites and they were ill. They got to sleep all night in the bed. I was grateful for the floor. One of those weekends we had to cook all the meals outside on a grill (they were renovating the kitchen and it was unusable) which was fine for some meals but for breakfast they wanted an iron frying pan on the grill with tomato sauce and eggs. Ugh. There was no shower and one toilet for about thirty people.

Then also there was the question about why we were renovating T’s house. Why did T get the free labor of thirty people working non-stop for two weekends to renovate his house and no one else did? Why did certain people get things and others didn’t? When was it going to be my turn? Would it ever be my turn? Exactly what did you have to do to get all the goodies? I wasn’t sure I wanted to know. I wasn’t angry at the time. At the time I was made to feel grateful for the opportunity of helping my “friends”. “Friends” is a very big misnomer here. I can feel the anger and other emotions welling up in my now. There is still the humiliation for the spanking – they never told me why I deserved it but only said that I needed to change the way I was thinking and maybe this would help.

We stapled fabric to the walls all that weekend until my hands ached and I couldn’t even lift the staple gun no less shoot it. Stapling fabric to walls was one of their standard decorating methods. It was a smoke and mirrors solution: easier and faster than painting because it didn’t matter what shape the wall was in and you could just cover everything up.

What else do I remember about that weekend? I remember driving in the car and making up names for my pregnant friends’ baby such as “Hennessy Courvoisier Rubinstein” and laughing hysterically. I remember waiting at a gas station on Sixth Avenue in the Village for hours before we got going.

I remember that one of the weekends we did sleep at different peoples homes who lived nearby. I didn’t realize it then but the “older students” all were encouraged to buy houses near each other to form a small community. We were all assigned to different houses at different times. We spent part of the night snooping in the house and trying to find clues to the identity of the people who owned the house and something about their lives. We did find out that weekend that we were at A’s house and that he had been married to J at one time. Slowly, we were piecing together the truth about the group and our situation.


When I say “we” here, I am speaking of myself and two friends. I think we were luckier than others because we did talk amongst ourselves (very much against the rules) and we did share information and we did break the rules on occasion. It wasn’t the norm to break the rules and as in any totalitarian society you had to be really careful who you talked to for fear of being turned in to the authorities for unsanctioned behavior.