Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Our Daughter Comes Home

I know that all of these posts are backwards so that to start with the beginning of the story, you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the posts. What I have wanted to write about is my daughter. Of all the things that happened to me while I was in the group, the story of my daughter is the one I most want to tell right now.

My new husband and I dreamed of adopting a baby from China or maybe Korea. I have two nieces from Korea – my brother and sister-in-law adopted them as infants (only 6 weeks old) and they are both beautiful, bright, lovely women today.

When Sharon heard that we were interested in adopting, she immediately took charge of the situation. She told us not to adopt from an Asian country but to adopt from Eastern Europe so the baby would have brown hair and brown eyes and we could say that she was our natural child. Pass her off as our natural child? Why and how? Sharon said that my husband’s sons would never accept our daughter if they thought she was adopted. Only if they thought she was their blood sister, would they accept her as part of the family. Our families would not accept her either. I didn’t really believe it but I felt like I had just stepped from a world where nothing was going right for me at all into a fairy tale that I desperately wanted to hold on to so I went along with the story.

Sharon told us that we should not see anyone in our families for at least a year. I said that I would be going to visit my brother and she told me to pretend that I was pregnant while I was there.
I spent the weekend with one hand on my back (oh, my aching back!) and the other hand on my stomach (my dear sweet little baby was inside me of course.) My sister-in-law made me a maternity outfit. It was a performance and I have never been a particularly good actress but they believed it. After the weekend, I spoke to Sharon on the phone and she said that she had never told me to pretend to my brother that I was pregnant. There was no arguing with her. Why would I have put on that particularly difficult charade except under her instruction?  I was totally confused and angry at having been led into a sham of a charade. She then told me to tell them that I had another miscarriage. Another performance…

I remember being at CR one weekend shortly thereafter and I told Sharon that I did not think it was possible to pretend that a child was my natural born child for her whole life. She laughed and told me it had been done many times before and that she would have one of the women who had done it, talk to me. I have no idea how many children whose parents were in “school” were adopted and never told about it. I had a long talk with L that weekend that had two daughters who had been adopted (one of them was the child of another woman I knew in the group and I don’t know where the other one came from). Both of her daughters, now in their 30’s, still have no idea that they were adopted although many of their friends seem to know the truth. We talked for a long time. I was convinced that she could do it but not convinced that I would be able to do it.

I looked around at adoption agencies and about the rules that different countries had for adoption. I had heard horror stories about Romanian orphanages. For Russia, there was no requirement that the parents had to be married for any particular length of time so we picked Russia. That started a year of paperwork, interviews, getting copies of birth certificates and marriage certificates apostilled, fingerprinting, etc. We picked a social worker and walked her through my home in NY even though we knew that we would not live there (I was already on my way to selling my NY home and buying a house in Boston as I had been told to do.) We needed health certificates as well and I went to my doctor and told him what I was planning to do. He begged me not to adopt from Russia. He told me that he had known several families that did adopt from Russia and ended up with severely handicapped children that had torn the families apart and ended in divorce in each case he knew about. I turned my back on his advice and as a matter of fact, I never spoke to him again. This was my happy ending, my dream come true, I was finally going to have my little baby girl and it was going to end happily ever after. I refused to see it any other way. I was also afraid that if I opposed anything that Sharon had suggested (instructed) that she could pull the plug on everything and my happily ever after would disappear down the drain.

I sold my house in New York and bought one in Boston. I don’t think that if I had not been in school I ever would have done that. My rational mind told me that you keep your place for a few years to make sure it all works out and if it doesn’t then you have someplace to go back to. That simply wasn’t going to be a possibility. Not only was I really actually in love with my husband (which is not always true for many of Sharon’s “arranged marriages”) but I felt that I had the added insurance that my husband was also in “school”.  I felt that the situation guaranteed a few things. Since “school” required that everyone make at least $60,000. a year, then we would be fine financially and also that we had would be helped and guided by our teachers so it was bound to work out. Selling my house in NY is one of my biggest regrets of my life considering what has happened to the NY real estate market since then. I bought a house in Boston but my husband also kept the apartment he had been living in. He was totally cash poor due to paying child support so I ended up paying for the apartment as well. He needed to keep the apartment because he took the boys every weekend and he needed someplace to take them. Sharon had told us not to tell the boys or his ex-wife anything about our daughter or me until our daughter was with us. Secrets.

I was alone in Boston. I knew no one and Sharon prohibited me from having any contact with my family or friends. I was not working. Sharon did concede to “giving” me one friend in Boston – a woman who was also an architect and had a daughter who would be roughly my daughter’s age. All through that year, I commuted between Boston and New York. I was not allowed to attend classes in Boston until our daughter came so I was permitted to attend only one class a week in NY. I was leading a double life. I found it hard to make other friends when I couldn’t talk to them honestly and tell them the truth of my life. Smoke and mirrors and secrets. Always secrets…

Finally, we took the long trip to Russia. We had to stay for about one month to comply with the government requirements for adoption. We spent a week in St. Petersburg, some time in Moscow and in Perm, on the edge of Siberia, where our daughter was born.


We returned to the United States with our daughter on May 1, 2000. It was the beginning of another major journey, one that still continues.